1883 Jersey Grouville Links
|Date 18 holes||1883|
Owned and managed by Royal Jersey Golf Club
|Home Clubs||Royal Jersey Golf Club (1878)|
The Club was founded in 1878 on Grouville Common on Jersey by visitors to the island led by FW Brewster and encouraged by officers of the local militia . Grouville is in the south-east of Jersey and was used for horse racing. It had become more accessible with the arrival of the railway. There is a possible connection with members of the Royal Wimbledon and the Victoria Club.
The club-house was then the Royal Oak, later renamed The Golf Inn and now called The Pembroke.
The early pioneers bought 36 golf hole cups, but they only had 10 proper flag sticks and bought 3 more later in two stages, which implies that they were adding holes as they went along. They probably had 10 or 13 holes in the first year, though this may have been played as a round of 18 holes.
1883 saw the first known layout of 18 holes.