Earliest Golf Sites and Golfers
'Golf' balls were being imported from The Netherlands to Scotland from at least 1486 and golf was being played officially from 1502. The dates of golf play below represent the first assessed record of links golf at the sites mentioned, not necessarily the first time golf was played there.
- 1502 Perth - The Royal Golfer
- 1503 Falkland Palace - The Courtier Golfer
- 1505 Stirling Castle - The Royal Golfer (again)
- 1527 Carnoustie - The Links Golfer
- 1562 Montrose - The Schoolboy Golfer
- 1574 St Andrews - The Student Golfer
- 1608 Greenwich Park - The Prince Golfer
- 1617 Fraserburgh - The Miscreant Golfer
- 1617 Dunbar - More Miscreant Golfers
- 1619 Dornoch - The Young Earl Golfer
- 1619 Leith Links - The Bishop Golfer
- 1625 Aberdeen - The Schoolmaster Golfer
- 1650 Gullane - The Weaver Golfers
- 1672 Musselburgh - The Lawyer Golfer
- 1672 North Berwick - The Law Lord Golfer
- 1672 Elgin and Burghead - The MP Golfer
- 1702 Fortrose - The Farmer Golfer
- 1711 Bruntsfield Links - The Poet Golfer
- 1721 Glasgow Green - The Non Playing Partner
This list of the eighteen oldest golf sites in Scotland, with Greenwich shown for completeness, is based on the criteria of
- Golf being played evidence of golf actually being played or a record of an established links where it would be being played.
- Dated evidence - authoritative reference or cross-reference mentioning an exact date or period
- Links golf involved - indication that the links form of golf, and not 'churchyard' golf, was being played
The earliest references to golf in Scottish official records are either to ban it or to condemn those playing it. The first documented mention is in Edinburgh on 6th March 1457, when King James II banned 'ye golf', in an attempt to encourage the neglected art of archery practice. This royal ban was repeated in 1471 by his son, James III, and again in 1491 by his grandson, James IV.
Even when the ban was effectively lifted in 1502 in Perth, there was over a century of complaints and convictions by the Kirk, from 1580 until 1724, against golf on the Sabbath (Sunday). The official (royal) line, voiced by King James VI in 1618, was that golf on the Sabbath was acceptable, so long as it was not during the times of service. It was not a view shared by the Kirk. Indeed Sunday golf at St Andrews only began during the Second World War and is still not permitted on the Old Course, though this is more to do with preserving the course rather than religious strictures.
Golf in its early days in Scotland may have had two forms. One was a target game, round churchyards and village greens, hitting balls at targets, such as trees or stakes, in the landscape. This may be the type of golf that was the subject of the early legal prohibitions, as being dangerous. Clearly, this is not 'links' golf. This type of golf may have continued in existence even after 'links' golf was being played, with at least one death recorded in 1632 in Kelso of an innocent bystander near a church, which is long after golf was being played on the links at St Andrews, Barry, Elie and Aberdeen.
The question therefore arises as to whether any early mention of golf is evidence of the modern links game or of the 'target' game, which died out in Scotland. Golf was definitely played on the links by 1527, but had probably became established in the previous century. Both these types of game were similar to 'colf' variants, played in the Netherlands, though the 'cross-country' version died out there.
The royal ban never affected important individuals, and may even have had the effect of encouraging play on the links, out of sight of the masses. As golf would have been being played openly and officially in dozens of places in Scotland from 1502 onwards, these dates are just the first mention or record we have for each location.