Shank of Castlerig

Murdoch Shank and his descendants owned the Kinghorn Links from 1286 until 1886, when the Trustees of the estate of Henry-Alexander Shanks sold them to the Council.

Kinghorn hole 1 2017 3

Some commentators believe the early story is legendary. They say that the family estate began with Henry Shank (8), Member of Scottish Parliament for Kinghorn in 1643, apparently in ignorance of the lineage published in A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain & Ireland: Vol II M to Z by John Burke. It is, however, very possible that this lineage is incomplete.

The Shanks later acquired lands at Gleniston in Fife and The Villa at Laurencekirk in Aberdeenshire. The family name seems to have changed from Shank to the more euphonic Shanks by the 17th century, even if this was not officially recognised by Burke.

The above is based mainly on the 1846 edition of Burke's Dictionary, with additional information from other sources, such as Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, which all list wives and other details.