1791 Port Erroll, Cruden Bay Golf Club (1899)

CrudenBayH1BLW

Cruden Bay Hole 1, with Slains Castle far distance on right

Cruden Bay, in Aberdeenshire on the north east coast of Scotland, was originally known as Invercruden. The village was renamed in 1924. Port Erroll is the older part of the village of Cruden Bay to the north of the present course.

Further north still stand the cliff-top ruins of Slains Castle, the ancestral home of the earls of Erroll built in 1597 by Francis Hay, the 9th Earl of Erroll. When Dr Samuel Johnson and James Boswell stayed here on the night of 24th August 1773, Boswell recording that Johnston thought the prospect here "the noblest he had ever seen." It is said that this building gave Bram Stoker the inspiration for Count Dracula's castle while staying at nearby Cruden Bay in 1895.

CrudenBayH4LW

Cruden Bay Hole 4, towards Ward Hill

In 1899, the Great North of Scotland Railway Company laid out the Cruden Bay golf course, designed by Old Tom Morris with assistance from Archie Simpson, and extended playing privileges to local residents who the Port Erroll Golf Club. The Cruden Bay Hotel built at the same time by the Great North of Scotland Railway Company and was connected to the railway station by an electric tramway.

However, there is evidence of an earlier Cruden Bay golf club, in the form of a ballot box inscribed Cruden Golf Club 1791.

CrudenBayMap01It is believed they played a golf course on Ward Hill near Slains Castle seen from the third hole at the north of the present course. The present Cruden Bay Golf Club possesses a winner's medal from a competition played on Ward Hill dated 1883. Local legend has it that the turf for the greens on the 1899 course was originally take from the Ward Hill course, in return for discounted rates of membership.

There was probably also a later course, inland of the present one. In 1897, J Dalgarno reports that there was a course was laid out by Captain Webbe, the Earl’s brother-in-law, which was played by both lady and gentlemen golfers until 1895 when the new railway line and station cut the course in two.

So there may well have been two courses in 19th century played simultaneously, of which the Ward Hill course would have been the older.

The hotel was demolished in 1947, having spent the war years requisitioned by the army. The course was taken over by the local club and recently a new clubhouse has been constructed.

Since 1975 crude oil from the Forties field in the North Sea has been pumped ashore at Cruden Bay, which can be seen at the turn.

Port Errol logoThe website for the The Port Erroll Golf Club reports that it is now a small autonomous club within the Cruden Bay Golf Club with a limited membership of approximately 75 players, playing competitive golf every Wednesday evening from the beginning of April until the end of September.

CrudenBayH17LW

Cruden Bay hole 17, with clubhouse on left